Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Black Flower

A novel of the Civil War by Howard Bahr

This is the third of Mr. Bahr's books I have read beginning with the most recently written and ending with the first, the story of the Battle of Franklin. Another great story that left me crying. Another wonderful group of the most interesting characters from a fictitious city in MS called Cumberland.

He brings his characters to life not only with the dialogue, but also with the inner workings of the men. Virgil c. was only in the first 50 pages but we felt great pain when he left. And Jack, the same fate only we revisit with him in his last hour.

And Bushrod. My God, how I would love to meet these men. Thought they are from another era, another century, another life I would find many things we have in common and I would love to just listen to their stories, their meaning in what is not being said.

I feel these characters in my heart and I cry with feeling for them and their circumstances.

The Black Flower is a tragic story and told beautifully. The middle one, the Year of Jubilo is my favorite out of the the trilogy.

I can not wait for Mr. Bahr to complete another. As I am certain he has many more stories and many more people from Cumberland to introduce us to and make us care about them as much as he cares about them.

No comments: