Thursday, June 19, 2008

The day i ate whatever i wanted

by Elizabeth Berg

I thought she could have stolen this title from an entry I made in 2006 the day before I went on the cleansing diet - yuck - and ate Dairy Queen, donuts, etc. all day long. The first of many exquisite short stories begins with a similar tale.

I read another book by Eliz., the last book she wrote as it was recommended by my sister and it was very good. Yet, I liked this collection of stories much better. I think I could find some connection to most every character. And if not, then some sort of understanding.

I loved the husbands. I like the way EB characterized them as understanding and un-suffering balances in the lives of their wives. Not all the stories involved husbands, but when they were there they were very lovable.

I totally drank up the story of Michael who quits his advertising job and moves to Mass and builds himself a house. I loved her reaction when she went and visited him, with her husbands trust and approval making the first journey with her. She realizes that Michael is living the life that she wanted and had not known until that moment that it was the life she wanted. And she mourned the loss. Then M. has brain cancer and her last moments/memories with him.

The story about the only child, 10 years old who mean cousin hips her the fact that she is fat. Sad and I felt such sorrow for that child. Like her childhood was over at that moment.

I loved the story about the two old friends and one is dying of leukemia and the other invites her to come live with her. I shed a tear on that one.

I devoured the letter from an old neighbor that served as a birthday gift. It was the recipe to apple pie and was so wonderful that I could just cry.

EB makes writing appear effortless and as easy as breathing. I will definitely read more.

And it was nice to rid myself of the Civil War monkey on my back.

No comments: