Friday, November 20, 2009

Eventide

by Evan Haruf

Did not read his first book Plainsong which this book is a continuation of the town and the caharacters....I suspect that only the outlines and smoke shadows of the characters of the last book are here.

A very sad book. One that I read hoping for an ending that would be satisfying and give hope for the lives of those who begin to matter to us.

But, like real life, there are no truly happy endings. People do not learn from their mistakes and children get raw deals.

My heart broke and every time the chapters were about the two children of the seemingly mentally challenged parents I held my breath. Nothing good ever happened for them. They ended up in a foster home, maybe with better haircuts, but with nothing.

How empty and sad.

I realize a whole lot of people compare this type/style of writing with Hemingway...sparce bare boned. But the hoplesness of the children left me empty at the end.

No comments: